Ideas for X improvement.

David Jackson djackson452 at gmail.com
Sat May 28 08:49:49 PDT 2011

rootless operation is a big advantage in certain cases. But you are right,
it does not forward any vector graphics data, such as GLX commands, which
probably are somewhat faster than rasterised data. Currently, i am using
xpra and x11vnc on Xvfb. When you use x11vnc on Xvfb, it seems to work much
more quickly than it does on the main hardware X server does. I used to use
Xvnc but now I use Xvfb and x11vnc, xvnc did not support render, xvfb does.
Konqueror does not work without Xrender. So it seems to solve my problems. I
tried x11vnc with my hardware xserver and it seemed to have latency with
keypresses not displaying to screen quickly. With Xvfb and x11vnc there is
no latency problem, it is plenty responsive enough. So I so far am happy
with the x11vnc and Xvfb combo. Xvfb does seem to support GLX, and the GLX
works over x11vnc. GLXgears runs acceptably over xvfb and x11vnc.  Since
Xvfb does not use real video hardware, I am guessing it uses Mesa software
inside Xvfb rendering of the OpenGL.