button presses dont show up in xev

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jul 26 15:10:06 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 01:48:19PM +0200, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I am running Debian unstable on the Notion Ink Adam tablet.
> The device is having four buttons that show up as /dev/input/event1.
>
> /dev/input/event1 will also produce output when the buttons are pressed.
> The raw output of pressing all four buttons one after each other can be
> seen here: http://mister-muffin.de/p/pJo2.txt
>
> evtest produces this output when pressing all four buttons one after
> another: http://mister-muffin.de/p/YoYL.txt

looks like your kernel driver is busted. evdev doesn't actually process
events until it sees an EV_SYN, it queues them up internally. You should be
seeing these lines in the evtest log:

Event: time 1311718017.941980, -------------- Report Sync ------------

They're missing, so I can only assume that the kernenl driver doesn't do the
right thing here. If you put xf86Msg() statements into
xf86-input-evdev/src/evdev.c:EvdevQueueKbdEvent, you'll probably see them
show up there (but not in EvdevPostQueuedEvents).

Cheers,
  Peter