Evdev problem with keyboard

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Jul 3 15:15:49 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 12:17:27PM +0100, Scott Waye wrote:

> On 27/06/2011 02:54, Markus Strobl wrote:
> >Not sure if this will be much help, but I do have that same keyboard
> >working fine on a kubuntu box. Reason I say I may not be much help is
> >because I didn't have to do anything to get it to work. I just had to
> >pair the bluetooth devices and then it worked (both keyboard and mouse
> >pad).
> >
> >I do know the dongle can operate in two modes, HID and HCI. Do you know
> >which mode yours is in?
> >
> >Maybe you could run a live cd of (k)ubuntu with your keyboard and see
> >what they did as far as config files?
> Thanks for all the suggestions.  In the end I just removed the
> XkbModel and it worked.  Peter's comment about it just working for
> him encouraged me to try to simplify things.  I also put back the
> device path  to event* in case the event number changes on reboot.
> I must admit that I don't understand how it maps the bytes sequences
> coming from the keyboard into characters, but I guess there is a
> udev rule somewhere which is doing this.

it's a kernel-specific protocol that consists of struct input_event. Just
look at linux/input.h, it provides all the magic numbers.

> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>         Driver "evdev"
>         Option "SendCoreEvents" "True"
>         #Option "XkbLayout"     "uk"
>         #Option "XkbModel"      "evdev"
> EndSection

SendCoreEvents is enabled by default anyway. This section should have no
effect, as it should be provided by your distro (check
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf). So chances are you can remove it.

If you still want the layout to be uk (in case your DE doesn't set it), just
leave this section with only Identifier, MatchIsKeyboard and XkbLayout.

Cheers,
  Peter