Evdev problem with keyboard

Scott Waye scott at waye.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 04:17:27 PDT 2011

On 27/06/2011 02:54, Markus Strobl wrote:
> On 06/26/2011 05:58 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 06:56:14PM +0100, Scott Waye wrote:
>>> I have a bluetooth Logitech diNovo Edge keyboard (with mouse pad)
>>> which I'm trying to get working using the evdev driver.  I believe
>>> the bluetooth part is working fine as I get two devices in
>>> /dev/input .
> Not sure if this will be much help, but I do have that same keyboard
> working fine on a kubuntu box. Reason I say I may not be much help is
> because I didn't have to do anything to get it to work. I just had to
> pair the bluetooth devices and then it worked (both keyboard and mouse
> pad).
>
> I do know the dongle can operate in two modes, HID and HCI. Do you know
> which mode yours is in?
>
> Maybe you could run a live cd of (k)ubuntu with your keyboard and see
> what they did as far as config files?
Thanks for all the suggestions.  In the end I just removed the XkbModel
and it worked.  Peter's comment about it just working for him encouraged
me to try to simplify things.  I also put back the device path  to
event* in case the event number changes on reboot.  I must admit that I
don't understand how it maps the bytes sequences coming from the
keyboard into characters, but I guess there is a udev rule somewhere
which is doing this.

Section "InputClass"
         Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
         Driver "evdev"
         Option "SendCoreEvents" "True"
         #Option "XkbLayout"     "uk"
         #Option "XkbModel"      "evdev"
EndSection

Regards the HID/HCI modes I noticed this recent thread
(http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/Bug-626975-bluez-Logitech-diNovo-Edge-Keyboard-working--ftopict537340.html)
which suggests that things are not quite "right" with way this keyboard
is currently set up.

--
Scott