Issues with 2nd display being treated as primary (when not plugged in)

Bryan Hoyt | Brush Technology bryan at brush.co.nz
Mon Jan 24 10:38:26 PST 2011

Oh, I didn't mention a key point: the same thing happens with no xorg.conf.
So perhaps my xorg.conf isn't a very useful piece of information... I mainly
attached it so that you could see what I've tried in order to fix it.

Does that change matters?

Why do you need to turn on a monitor that's not
> connected?

You're right, that line's suspect. However, it does the same thing without
it -- the option has no effect. Sorry for the confusion.

> Also note that for LVDS1, the "Primary" option is ignored
> (line 432) and "Enable" is superfluous anyway. You can configure
> multi-monitor stuff with xrandr nowadays.

Ditto above about "Enable". As for "Primary", that one's the big problem --
by default, when it's NOT plugged in, VGA1 is treated as primary, but I want
LVDS1 to be primary. The "Primary" option is an attempt to fix that.

Why is it ignored? How can I make it not ignored?

Re xrandr: yes, but I want this to work smoothly & automatically on boot,
flicker-free. Ideally, in an xrandr-compatible way (I don't want to use
Xinerama or anything), but as far as I understand it, running xrandr on boot
requires putting it in an X startup script, which means the screen(s) will
flicker as the settings change.

Skype ID is bryhoyt for you or anyone who wants to discuss it further
offlist.

 - Bryan

> Feel free to drop me your Skype, Jabber, or icq ID if you need
> additional clarification (Disclaimer: I'm not an X developer, just a
> user and administrator). This mailing list is fine too though.
>
> Regards,
>
> Philipp
>
> Bryan Hoyt | Brush Technology wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have an all-in-one box with a builtin monitor (LVDS1) and 2nd
> hotpluggable
> > monitor (VGA1).
> >
> > My problem in a few words: if I don't have a 2nd screen plugged in at
> boot,
> > I can't see a thing once X loads. If I have a 2nd screen plugged in at
> boot,
> > everything works more-or-less ok.
> >
> > More detail: If I have VGA1 unplugged at boot, X detects it (VGA1) as
> > primary for some reason, and shows a blank screen on LVDS1 (but during
> BIOS
> > load, grub, and plymouth splash, the picture shows on LVDS1 as expected.
> I'd
> > expect X to do the same, but it doesn't). When I plug in VGA1, the
> picture
> > shows up fine on there, but no pic on LVDS1 until I load up Monitor
> > Preferences or use xrandr. If VGA1 is plugged in during boot, then both
> > screens operate as expected.
> >
> > My xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/NB06Dk47
> > My lspci: http://pastebin.com/n6bPhupW
> > My xorg.log: http://pastebin.com/pyx5y2g0
> >
> > Can anyone help me delve further into the problem? Perhaps even help fix
> it?
> > ;-)
> >
> > I'd be very keen to chat with someone in person (Skype or something), if
> > that's appropriate -- but I'm more than happy to discuss via this list if
> > that's better.
> >
> > Not wanting to be mercenary about it, but it's worth a small amount of
> money
> > to certain people to have this solved, so if there's not an obvious fix,
> > I could probably arrange some $$ compensation for time if an expert wants
> > do some one-on-one consulting. I'd contribute any useful information back
> > the list.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Bryan

PS. Check out the Brush newsletter: *Subscribe or read our previous
newsletters* <http://brush.co.nz/newsletters>

Bryan Hoyt, *Web Development Manager*  --  Brush Technology
*Ph:* +64 3 741 1204     *Mobile:* +64 21 238 7955
*Web:* brush.co.nz