Replacing the I-beam cursor system wide.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 22:46:57 PST 2011

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 01:41:20 am mcnichol at austin.ibm.com did
opine:

> > From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com>

> > > man xterm (resources)
> > >
> > >         pointerMode (class PointerMode)
> > >
> > >                 Specifies when the pointer may be hidden as the user
> > >
> > > types.  It will be redisplayed if the user moves the mouse, or
> > > clicks one of its buttons.
> > >
> > >                 0  never
> > >
> > >                 1  the  application  running  in  xterm has not
> > >
> > > activated mouse mode.  This is the default.
> > >
> > >                 2  always.
> > >
> > >         pointerShape (class Cursor)
> > >
> > >                 Specifies the name of the shape of the pointer.  The
> > >
> > > default is "xterm."
> >
> > That it is, but where is the list and description of the other options
> > so that we can make considered choices?
>
> Take a look in /usr/include/X11/cursorfont.h for a start.
>
> Dan

My Gawd, that file is 24 years old, and dates way before the GPL!

But seriously, that is the text cursor, not the mouse cursor.  I am using
the block, colored orange, but the mouse cursor is still the ibeam when its
over the text screen.

Perhaps I didn't state that clear enough, I tend to overuse the "it" in my
posts, a habit I am trying to break but old habits die hard it seems.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)