handling radeon overscan

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 07:48:37 PST 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27 at verizon.net> wrote:

>>> Thanks. Are there any plans to include this in xorg.conf so it take
>>> effect
>>> immediately for all X sessions, or even in the kernel so KMS works
>>> nicely?
>>>
>>It's disabled by default starting in 2.6.38
>>
>>Alex
>
> Applied
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=56bec7c009872ef33fe452ea75fecba481351b44
>
> Looks great in X, no effect on the console.
>
> Funny commit comment. Wouldn't adding radeon.underscan={auto,off,on} appease
> all? Or a setting in the video= command line option like
> video=HDMI-0:underscan{off,on,auto}?

The first option doesn't deal with users that want underscan enabled
on one monitor, but off on the other.  The second patch would be ideal
(connector attributes should be exposed via sysfs as well), but
requires a fair amount of infrastructural work I don't have time to
implement at the moment.  It would be a good starter project from
someone looking to help out with the drm though.

Alex