Question about pixman,x11perf and xserver

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Mon Dec 5 07:47:57 PST 2011

On 2011-12-05 06:39, 杨帅 wrote:

> 1.I recompile the pixman with enable-neon,but when I use the x11perf for
> testing ,I can‘t see the significant difference between the pixman with
> neon and pixman without neon.That's why?

x11perf is an older test suite, and mostly only tests core graphics.
Only x11perf -compwinwin and -comppixwin will make heavy use of pixman
(along with the new-style text tests, a*text, aa*text and rgb*text to
some extent).

The good news is, most modern applications draw using those requests.

> 2.xserver use which drawing library to resizing the window,scroll the
> text window ,and so on?

Depends on the application. Either pixman, or the fb directory of the
server.

> 3.which library  excepts pixman could I optimize using neon to improve
> the performance of xserver?

xserver/fb

But first, make sure you're working on something that matters to your
application. In particular, cairo-perf-trace is probably more relevant
these days than x11perf. See
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/cairo-traces/tree/README

Peter Harris
--