poor video playback performace with radeon

Taneli Vähäkangas taneli.vahakangas at cs.helsinki.fi
Wed Aug 17 13:36:10 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:57:06AM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:

> Yes, src/gallium/auxiliary/vl is the location of the code.  It
> currently supports XvMC and VDPAU for mpeg1/2.

I see. It works, but the output is quite buggy, and features are
missing. Is this to be expected?

I think something goes wrong when decoding macroblocks in P and B
frames. Intra macroblocks and thus I frames are correct. The
"dimming" of the image over time (with even zero motion vectors)
might be explained by predictors being discarded at wrong spots,
but I could not find fault in the code. I have no clue yet as to
what might cause every second line to be dark, but am looking at
frame/field and 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 differences.

However, debugging is really slow. My current workflow is to plug
my changes to the xorg-edgers mesa source packages and build the
binaries again. This takes about 70 minutes, and requires X
restart. There must be a faster/more convenient way (especially
since my changes end up only in libgallium, not other dlls), how do
other people hack this part of the tree?

Cheers,

	Taneli