poor video playback performace with radeon

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 06:57:06 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Taneli Vähäkangas
<taneli.vahakangas at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 09:45:01AM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
>> There is initial shader based decoding for gallium drivers in the mesa
>> git tree.  At the moment it only supports MPEG1/2, but Christian is
>> looking into support for newer codecs.
>
> Would that be the code in (master branch) src/gallium/auxiliary/vl?
> Is there a way to try out the mpeg2 decoding functionality, for
> example a version of mpeg2dec that uses this code? Considering I
> have Radeon HD 5450, which I think is R800, would it work in
> practice?

Yes, src/gallium/auxiliary/vl is the location of the code.  It
currently supports XvMC and VDPAU for mpeg1/2.

> On a quick glance it appears that this could be used to support
> XvBA once MPEG4 features are implemented, is that right? Would that
> require changes outside the vl/ directory? Where / what kind?

XvBA is the API for using the UVD hardware in the proprietary Linux
catalyst driver.  There are no plans to support that API in gallium at
the moment, although someone could if they wanted.  Mpeg4 support
would be most easily added to the existing VDPAU code.

Alex