Screen contamination

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Apr 23 18:11:52 PDT 2011

On Saturday, April 23, 2011 09:05:43 PM dark_mail at gmx.net did opine:

> Am 23.04.2011 17:46, schrieb gene heskett:
> > On Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:44:20 AM gene heskett did opine:

> > I don't have those docs unforch.
>
> You can find just about any manpages and docs online.
> In this particular case a bit of googling got me this page:
> http://ru.download.nvidia.com/solaris/1.0-9639/README/appendix-d.html
> (It's for Solaris, but the options shouldn't be too different.)

> >> I just put this line in the Device section of xorg.conf, and will
> >> reboot to level 3 so I can play with startx.

> >> That I will, and report.  Thanks.
> >
> > And I can report that the option did not cause any errors in the
> > Xorg.0.log, and that the problem would appear to have been eliminated.
> >
> > Thank you very much!
>
> Well, unfortunately this just made the symptoms go away, but didn't
> tackle the real problem.
> If you know how to patch files and compile your own X-server, you could
> try and apply the patch linked in the bug report I mentioned in an
> earlier post, which is
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=44749

This shows me the patch, but I don't see a place to click to add any
comments.  Perhaps you can?

> If those two bugs are related, the patched X server should work with
> page flipping active and would confirm that this issue is not isolated
> to the radeon driver but also is occuring on the nvidia side.

I am not too sure what this Page Flipping does, but one other thing stands
out, videos seem to play quite a bit smoother now.

> Regardless, I think you should attach a comment to the earlier bug
> report, so folks know this is possibly not limited to ATI cards.
> So long

I'll see if I can get perms to add a comment to that effect.  But when I
went to that link, its the patch only, no place to add a comment.

Again, many thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)