Screen contamination

dark_mail at gmx.net dark_mail at gmx.net
Sat Apr 23 12:08:23 PDT 2011

Am 23.04.2011 17:46, schrieb gene heskett:
> On Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:44:20 AM gene heskett did opine:

>>> I did some digging in the xorg.conf options list and found this:
>
> I don't have those docs unforch.

You can find just about any manpages and docs online.
In this particular case a bit of googling got me this page:
http://ru.download.nvidia.com/solaris/1.0-9639/README/appendix-d.html
(It's for Solaris, but the options shouldn't be too different.)

>>> Option "NoFlip" "boolean"
>
>> I just put this line in the Device section of xorg.conf, and will reboot
>> to level 3 so I can play with startx.
>>
>>> The description matches what EnablePageFlip does, except it's
>>> reverted, which means setting "boolean" to "true" should turn off
>>> page flipping. See if that makes a difference.
>>
>> That I will, and report.  Thanks.
>>
> And I can report that the option did not cause any errors in the
> Xorg.0.log, and that the problem would appear to have been eliminated.
>
> Thank you very much!

Well, unfortunately this just made the symptoms go away, but didn't
tackle the real problem.
If you know how to patch files and compile your own X-server, you could
try and apply the patch linked in the bug report I mentioned in an
earlier post, which is
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=44749

If those two bugs are related, the patched X server should work with
page flipping active and would confirm that this issue is not isolated
to the radeon driver but also is occuring on the nvidia side.

Regardless, I think you should attach a comment to the earlier bug
report, so folks know this is possibly not limited to ATI cards.
So long