Widescreen Monitor config Problem

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 22 17:17:16 PDT 2010

On 09/22/2010 07:19 PM, Scott Ballantyne wrote:
> I have a LG FLATRON W2253VP widescreen monitor. No matter how I run X,
> the monitor goes blank, enters power saving mode, and I must reboot to
> reactivate the monitor.
>
> The computer has not crashed - I can ssh to the machine. I can tell
> from a ps that the X process is still running, and also that the
> keyboard is active, because I can exit the server using ctrl-c or
> ctrl-alt-del.
>
> But nothing I do brings anything back to the monitor screen, including
> trying to switch to another virtual terminal.
>
> What I have tried:
>
> startx
> Xorg -configure and then
> Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
> Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro
>
> Then I tried developing my own modeline from the Xlog file. This is
> what I ended up with, and placed in a my.xorg.conf file:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	#DisplaySize	  490   320	# mm
> 	Identifier   "Monitor0"
> 	VendorName   "LG (GSM)"
> 	ModelName    "W2253"
> #	HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0
> #	VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
> 	ModeLine     "1920x1080" 138.5 1920 1968 2000 2080 1080 1083 1088 1111
> #	Option	    "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Xorg -config my.xorg.conf
> Xorg -config my.xorg.conf -retro
>
> Same result. Monitor in power savings mode and a reboot each time.
>
> I wrote to the Freebsd list for help. Suggestions there:
>
> 1. disable HALD and DBUS.
>
> I tried this, using startx and Xorg -config etc. Same result.
>
> 2. try using XDM.
>
> Same result.
>
> I also tried a new Screen section:
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier "Screen0"
> 	Device     "Card0"
> 	Monitor    "Monitor0"
> 	DefaultDepth 24
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		Viewport   0 0
> 		Depth     24
> 		Modes	  "1920x1080"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> It didn't work.
>
> I've googled and googled, but haven't found anything. qIf anyone could help me out, I would be so grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

If you look at that Xorg log, you'll see that the EDID received for the monitor
doesn't show 1920x1080 as a valid resolution. Have you tried running with a very
simple xorg.conf like:

Section "Device"
	Identifier "dev0"
	Driver "radeon"
EndSection

 From there you can use xrandr to play around and add modelines. I can't
remember it off the top of my head, but there's a nice little utility that
generates modelines for you.