GSoC: KMSifying cirrus?

Daniel Gnoutcheff daniel at gnoutcheff.name
Tue Mar 23 21:02:20 PDT 2010

Hello all!

I'm planing to apply for GSoC, and Xorg is one of the projects I'm
considering. I see that "KMS a non-KMSed driver" is on the ideas list.
One of the ideas I'm considering is the KMSification of the cirrus
driver (at least the alpine half of it). Would there be any interest in
such a project?

Cirrus cards are kind of obsolete, but I suppose *would* be nice to have
one more KMS driver, perhaps a relatively simple one that could be an
easy-to-follow model for other KMSification efforts.

I've got a real CL-GD-5446 to do some testing with, and I've spent a bit
of time tracking/testing/exploring the git repos for the kernel and for
various xorg projects, so I do have a tiny head start there.

More generally, I'm interested in *anything* that will help the free
desktop succeed. :) So I'm choosing projects primarily on the basis of
what I'm best prepared to take on, and where I can be most helpful.

Thanks for any feedback!

Have a good one,
Daniel