Mouse issue

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Mar 15 17:46:08 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:57:48AM -0800, John Ettedgui wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have had a small issue for some time with my mouse and need some help :)
>
> Basically sometimes, something bad happens (what?) and then the mouse
> keeps the focus on one application.
> For example if I am in Firefox and the mouse works there, I cannot
> click on anything in the task bar, or even if I alt-tab to konsole the
> mouse will not work there. If I right click in the console, it will
> behave the same way as if I was right clicking in Firefox.
> One "temp fix" is to right click in the application, then right click
> in the systray on the same application then I can click on another
> application and so on...
> This issue is usually fixed by reinstall Xorg's evdev and then restarting Xorg.

this is almost certainly a stuck grab. If FF has an active grab, no other
application can receive pointer events for the duration of the grab.
You don't actually need to reinstall, usually restarting X is enough. In
fact, making the FF window unviewable will break the grab too (e.g.
minimising it)

This may be an application issue or an issue with the server. To figure out
what exactly happens, we'd need a reproducible test case - stuck grabs are
notoriously tricky to debug.

Cheers,
  Peter