X windows won't produce any displays on my Dell Latitude E6500

Sean McClain sean.mcclain.dc3.sw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 10:55:00 PDT 2010

Sorry for not getting back to this right away; I got X working and had
an unrelated kernel problem which knocked out my wireless.

I feel a little dumb, actually. I'd assumed since ctrl+alt+backspace
didn't work any more and I had a black screen with no mouse instead of
the grey screen with an X-shaped mouse I was expecting, that things
weren't working. And looking through archives, I was just looking for
my hardware and software; I didn't even to think to check if anything
had changed in xorg itself.

It turned out the problem was as simple as my DISPLAY being set to 0:0
. When I set it to :0.0 it worked great.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help, and thanks to the xorg
development team for making a great product. I was very pleasantly
surprised with how well my intel driver is working with KMS.