X (from CentOS 5) crashes on Lenovo T61 laptop when I try to change screen resolution or set up external monitor

Aleksey Tsalolikhin atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 18:11:54 PST 2010

Hi.  Xorg 7.1.1 (from CentOS 5.4)  crashes when I bring up the "Display" or
"Screen Resolution" control panels -- this is on a Lenovo ThinkPad T61.

I am trying to configure an extended desktop using the laptop screen and
an external monitor connected through the docking station - right now I get
a duplicate image and the external monitor is at a very low resolution.

I am including my Xorg.log, could somebody help me sort
this out, please, or point me in the right direction?

I do see this:

(WW) intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found

(--) PCI:*(0:2:0) Intel Corporation unknown chipset (0x2a02) rev 12,
Mem @ 0xf8100000/20, 0xe0000000/28, I/O @ 0x1800/3
(--) PCI: (0:2:1) Intel Corporation unknown chipset (0x2a03) rev 12,
Mem @ 0xf8200000/20

So I thought I might need a special video driver.

http://www.linlap.com/wiki/ibm-lenovo+thinkpad+t61  says
the T61 laptop graphics should work OK with recent Linux distros.

I tried the xorg.conf mod in
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Fedora_8_on_a_T61#Graphics
but X crashes when I run xrandr.  (Fedora 8 is the closest thing
I could find to CentOS 5 when googling this issue.)

I went on the vendor website but there was no driver available except for
an NVIDIA driver for SUSE, but  (a) my laptop does not have an NVIDIA device,
and (b) I am running CentOS.

Help?

Thanks,
-at

P.S. xorg.conf included as well:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"