Sun ultra 40 m2 nvidia server won't start

Laurel Sillerud laurel at unm.edu
Mon Jun 21 16:44:15 PDT 2010

Hello,

     This is my last resort before I throw my Sun U40 M2 out the
window.  I have been working on reinstalling Solaris 10 05/08
and now face the daunting task of getting the X server to work.  I have
used nvidia-xconfig, and many other tools ( I have 30 years of unix
experience) to try to get this beast back up and running after a fresh
install of S10.  The only way I can get it to start is to not build and
xorg.conf file.  Then, the machine boots into 1024x768 mode and will not
budge higher.  I have a 24" monitor (Sun 24.1 LCD) that would really
like to run at a higher res, but I can't find an xorg.conf file that
will run on this box.  The system came with the monitor, and I got it
working years ago at 1920x1200 just fine.  Now, no luck.  The major
issue is that the nvidia driver will not start the card.  Of course, I
have all the log files proving that it won't.  Any chance of getting a
running xorg.conf that I could just plug in?

Laurel