X Server Cursor Option

Simon Farnsworth simon.farnsworth at onelan.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 09:25:40 PDT 2010

On Friday 9 July 2010, Chris Healy <cphealy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> I saw your name as being the author for this change so I thought I would go
> straight to you with my question.

Please don't omit a relevant mailing list when doing this - by all means CC me
in, but I don't always have time to answer questions, and including the
mailing list helps you get a timely answer.

> I have an embedded touchscreen device that should normally not have the
> cursor visible, thus I want to use the -nocursor option, but for debugging
> purposes, I need to be able to plug a mouse in and have a visible cursor.
> (Because this is for debugging purposes, restarting the X Server is not an
> option.)
>
> Is there a way to make the cursor visible again without restarting the X
> Server?
This is very deliberately not possible with the -nocursor option - it aims to
ensure that the cursor cannot be displayed no matter how hard X applications
try.

You want to look at the XFixes extension - the -nocursor option simply alters
the cursor behaviour to act as if a HideCursor request is in force for all
possible windows.
--
Simon Farnsworth
Software Engineer