Xorg crashes...

Ryan Daly daly at ctc.com
Mon Jan 18 13:12:15 PST 2010

On 01/18/2010 03:17 PM, Ryan Daly wrote:
> I was able to start Xorg w/ 'startx' as root.  I'm writing trace files
> out, so as soon as I get it to exit on me, I'll look through and see
> what's left.

One bad thing...  The strace files started taking up so much room that I
needed to stop the session I was running.

But, I noticed something while I was running as "root."  I was up for
about 3 hours without any trouble.  I noticed while I was logged in that
my alt, shift, and ctrl keys weren't working.  That prompted me to start
poking around and I found that I had a $HOME/.xmodmaprc.  I'm wondering
if this could have any impact on things.  Could it be possible that
something was mapped in such a way that when a particular key sequence
was hit it caused my session to exit?  I know Gnome maps keys on its
own.  Maybe I was confusing things by having $HOME/.xmodmaprc in place.

I have since removed $HOME/.xmodmaprc and restarted my X session, but
I'm running as myself.  I'm still unable to strace this because of the
earlier permissions issue that was posted.  I'd still like to hear
thoughts regarding this, though.  Thanks.

This message and any files transmitted within are intended
solely for the addressee or its representative and may
contain company sensitive information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, notify the sender immediately and delete
this message.  Publication, reproduction, forwarding, or
content disclosure is prohibited without the consent of the
original sender and may be unlawful.

Concurrent Technologies Corporation and its Affiliates.
www.ctc.com  1-800-282-4392