i915 KMS problem after software suspend

Willi Mann foss-ml at wm1.at
Wed Jan 13 09:25:16 PST 2010

Hi!

I'm facing a very strange issue on my Lenovo T500, with
Intel(R) GM45 chip.

After I do a software suspend (hibernate), about 1 out of 4 times I don't
get the XSession back.

However, the mouse is visible and moveable on all virtual terminals, and I
can connect to the Xsession from another machine by starting x11vnc.

I can switch to any virtual terminal by using Alt+Fn, I don't need to use
Ctrl+Alt+Fn on the terminal where the XSession should be shown, to switch
the virtual terminal.

When I switch to one of the virtual text terminals and type something there
I can see in the VNC Session that the X Server also gets these key presses -
similar for the mouse.

The screen where the XSession should be shown only contains some reload
messages from daemons that are reloaded after the suspend.

I'm using Debian, the following package versions on Debian testing/unstable:

linux-image-2.6.32-trunk-686  2.6.32-5
xserver-xorg-core             2:1.7.3.902-1
xserver-xorg-video-intel      2:2.9.1-2

grepping for i915 in the syslog, I can find the following message:

[29153.912814] i915 0000:00:02.0: setting latency timer to 64

Lines in Xorg.0.log with EE:

(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""Lid Switch""
(EE) "HID 046a:0004": failed to initialize for relative axes.
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 1000""
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""HDA Intel Headphone""
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""HDA Intel Mic""
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""HDA Intel Mic""
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""HDA Intel Headphone""
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad""
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""PS/2 Generic Mouse""
(EE) ioctl EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
(EE) PreInit returned NULL for ""Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 1000""
(EE) "HID 046a:0004": failed to initialize for relative axes.

Is there any fix / workaround known for this problem? I can of course
provide more information if needed.

WM