My pretty unusual XRandR use case, where nobody but you has a chance of solving it. ^^

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Wed Jan 13 07:46:08 PST 2010

On Dec 26, 09 06:33:43 +0100, Navid Zamani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got a pretty unusual setup here:
> I have a 4:3 CRT running at 1600x1200+0+0 with 101 DPI,
> and a 16:9 projector running at 1024x768+1600+431 (yes, that’s
> anamorphic, aka. with non-square pixels) which of course has a
> projection size of something around 3m in width (I’d measure it out later).
>
> So I have two very different DPIs and most importantly: Two different
> pixel formats (square and non-square).

In short: such a scenario is completely unsupported.

> How in the world would I set that up properly?
> --fbmm does only allow a global setting, and does not seem to do
> anything anyway (tried 400x100 as a parameter, with no changes).
> --dpi also is only global, but does not even allow different settings
> for horizontal and vertical.

This is because the Xserver has only the notion of number of pixels and
screen size in cm. DPI can be calculated by these values, thus you
either set framebuffer size in cm or dpi, the other one comes for free.

Also note the singular (screen size in cm). There's no such thing as
different dpi values per output. Would require even protocol changes
(what do you do if your window is for ones half on one screen and one
half on the other?).

Besides - why would anyone want to use 1024x768 on a 16:9 projector?!?
Or does the projector really have an anamorphic lens?

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          mat at mshopf.de