Xorg crashes...

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:59:29 PST 2010

On 01/06/10 11:54, Ryan Daly wrote:
> On 01/06/2010 02:28 PM, Justin P. Mattock wrote:
>>
>> alright.. so at least you can switch
>> modules i.g. from nvidia to vesa and such.
>>   From what it seems your hitting something
>> maybe with evdev, or mouse/kbd(but could be wrong).
>>
>> over here I've noticed something like that
>> with using fluxbox and the latest xserver from git.
>> every so often if I right click
>> the xserver will exit out instantly.
>>
>> hmm.. from your log I see something
>> with evdev, maybe you should upgrade
>> the evdev module(from git) to see if this problem
>> has been fixed for you.
>
> I'm running the stock Xorg from Ubuntu 9.10.  They're using version
> 2:1.6.4-2ubuntu4, but /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so lives in
> another package (xserver-xorg-input-evdev) which is version
> 1:2.2.5-1ubuntu6.
>
> Would I be able to insert an updated module without changing anything else?
> --

over here my xorg modules live in:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/*
ubuntu might be the same(but can't remember).

as for uninstalling, synaptic I think
might let you uninstall a module
individually, but you never know might
want to uninstall a whole mess load of stuff.
(dependencies)

depending on what synaptic does if it wants to uninstall
a mess load, I would not even bother, and just locate
the evdev_drv.so/la modules rename them or move them to a
safe location. then git clone
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-input-evdev
(or just leave them their and write over them with a fresh copy,
and when done use apt-get reinstall on it to copy that version again).

compile it, remember you might need to specify the location of
the modules with a switch i.g.
./configure --someswitch=/specifying/the/location/of/input/modules
(that's if ubuntu has them in another location other than default);

then see if it fixes your issue.
now keep in mind it could be evdev, it could
even be libpthread or libxrandr.. tough to say.

Justin P. Mattock