xrandr dual-screen usability survery (Was: Dual-head config broke with update to 1.4.2)

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Wed Feb 17 08:17:52 PST 2010

Samuel Thibault wrote on Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 05:10:19PM +0100:
> Martin Cracauer, le Wed 17 Feb 2010 10:50:12 -0500, a ?crit :
> > Thanks for the fvwm2 tip, I'll try that later.  Of course it won't do
> > anything about the other client problems and the virtual desktop
> > switching.
>
> Note that virtual desktop switching is handled by fvwm2 too.  Initially
> I thought having independent virtual desktop switching would be useful.
> Since fvwm2 doesn't do it, I ended up just sticking windows on one
> screen, and thus only get virtual desktop on the other screen.  This
> { static on one hand, dynamic on the other hand } setup is in the end
> quite good.

Hmmm.

On first sight that works for the situation with the movie on the
right screen all right.

But what do I do about the situation where the off-screen is switched
between a bunch of monitoring/IRC/IMs and a gimp session? (gimp is
multi-windowed)

Apart from that, in the movie situation wouldn't clients that open
dialog boxes in the middle of what they think is the screen obscure
parts of the movie at random times?

I still see problems here and no advantages.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/