xinput settings ignored

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Feb 10 15:26:43 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 05:35:52PM +0100, Marco Cavallini wrote:
> Hi I am facing to a weird behaviour with my ARM based touchscreen
> device, xinput settings ignored and looks like I have a parallel input
> device.
>
> X.Org X Server 1.7.4
>

> # cat /dev/input/touchscreen0
>   if I touch the screen I can see chars
>
> If I start xorg with
>  xinit &
> I can see the graphic application (xterm) and the cursor moves when I
> touch the screen.
> Cursor movements are not calibrated and axes are swapped.
>
> # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "atmel-ts"
>         Driver          "evdev"
>         Option          "SwapAxes" "1"
>         Option          "Device" "/dev/input/touchscreen0"
> EndSection

Can I assume that the touchscreen talks the event API? because if not, some
interesting behaviour can be expected.

> Now, the weird stuff: If I do
>  xinput set-int-prop "atmel-ts" "Device Enabled" 8 0
> the command
>  xinput test "atmel-ts"
> doesn't return any coordinate and any event, but the cursor moves on the
> screen.
>
> If I enable the device
>  xinput set-int-prop "atmel-ts" "Device Enabled" 8 1
> the command
>  xinput test "atmel-ts"
> works, and the cursor has the same behaviour (not cailbrable)
>
> May these info give you any idea about what's happening?
> Any hint will be appreciated.

have you disabled hotplugging? chances are the device is added twice, once
as part of the xorg.conf, once through HAL. if you disable the xorg.conf
device, the other one will happily keep sending coordinates.

Cheers,
  Peter