X.Org Foundation Board of Directors 2010 Election

Stuart Kreitman Stuart.Kreitman at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 10 15:17:16 PST 2010

On 02/10/10 11:47 AM, Daniel Stone wrote:
> (tl;dr: Yes, I agree that the Foundation needs to be doing a lot more,
>          but nothing we've done is hidden from our members, i.e. board
>          members know basically as much as you, and that this is a result
>          of lack of time/etc, rather than any desire to keep any
>          information private.  Yes, we should be doing better.)
>
> Hi,
>
> Disclaimer: All of this is off the top of my head.  I could be and am
> probably wrong on some of the details.  This does not represent an
> official statement on behalf of the Foundation, etc, etc.
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 06:31:32PM +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
>
>> The X.org Foundation exists to best represent the interests of the X.org
>> Foundation members, by being the legal entity responsible for the state
>> of the Foundation. To a large extent, its responsibility is to manage
>> the considerable amount of funds that the X.org foundation has gathered
>> over the years, in the best interest of these X.org foundation members.
>>
> Rather.  For the record, I think the current balance is on the order of
> ~$us150k.  Around the time we dissolved the sponsors' group, we decided

As co-signer of the checks,  that sounds really high, My guess is that its
knocked down to 1/2 that by now, but I haven't seen the exact balance for
a few years now.  This needs to be sorted before comittments for the next
conference are made.    Keith?

> to temporarily stop seeking funds from previous financial contributors,
> as we already had more than enough to fund our operations for several
> years.

Too late to ask Sun for money ;-)
> I assume that this will be re-evaluated within the next couple of years,
> assuming that we continue to spend money (again, my personal opinion and
> guesswork only).

A good action item for the next Board would be to set the bar for when
to start fundraising.