Remote X

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Feb 3 00:09:51 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 23:33 -0800, Corbin Simpson wrote:
> In theory, sure, but I don't think I've ever seen anybody actually
> have any problems with this. In my experience the glyph cache is
> actually too big sometimes; when doing 3D drivers, if I accidentally
> clobber my cache, I need to go open up a character map and scroll
> through a dozen fonts to clear it.

That's the EXA glyph cache pixmap, whereas Russell was presumably
referring to the generic RENDER mechanism of the X server caching glyph
data uploaded by the clients (which is currently done by storing each
cached glyph in a pixmap of its own). I agree with others though that
his concern seems rather hypothetical.