Possibly silly, certainly a little OT Question

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Dec 24 08:02:18 PST 2010

gene heskett wrote:

> I have a minicom session connected to a serial port of an antique computer,
> and the diffs in the keyboard codes for the control characters are killing
> me because I can't use the uparrow & repeat functions of the terminal
> software driver on that machine.  The arrow keys in particular, as sent
> from this end are just garbage chars to the old machine.
>
> So the first thing I need to map is from whatever the up arrow key now
> sends, to actually send an 0x09 to the other end of the cable.
>
> But I haven't a clue how to go about that.  I've looked through minicom's
> menu's, and it looks like I can translate the printable characters, but I
> don't see where I can diddle the control chars.  I've also look at the
> setserial options without anything useful reaching up and slapping me in
> the face.
>
> Can anyone suggest a better configuration tool/location of a file,
> whatever, that would give me the data as to how to do this for minicom
> only?

Minicom doesn't support remapping of the cursor keys; you get to
choose between VT100 and ANSI, and that's all.

One possibility is to run it under "screen", which allows arbitrary
remapping of keys, and remap the cursor keys to function keys (which
can then be rebound within minicom). Another possibility is to modify
minicom's source code. Yet another possibility is to just type literal
control characters, but that's likely to be annoying if you need to do
it a lot.