End user question on multitouch development

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Mon Dec 6 12:41:05 PST 2010

Recently spent some time working on getting multitouch support working
under RHEL6 on a Dell XT2.

Thanks to a lot of great info out there it ended up not being too bad
of a process, but left me with some questions on what the "official"
direction of Multitouch under X is.

There seem to be several projects out there providing support for the
N-Trig chipset in my XT2 under Xorg:

- Linux Wacom (xf86-input-wacom)
- xf86-input-multitouch (http://bitmath.org/code/multitouch/)
- evdev / X Input 2.1

I am presuming the latter will be the "blessed" way, but could anyone
comment?  Are the above drivers / methods "competing"?

[ BTW, I ended up using the xf86-input-wacom driver, but maybe should
  have gone the evdev route (though maybe I would have had to mangle my
  Xorg install ... ]

Also came across this thread[1] asking about setting up an Xorg wiki
page for multitouch development centralization.  Doesn't look like this
was ever done?  Is there still interest?

Thanks,
Ray

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-May/008287.html