Custom modeline in 10-monitor.conf?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 4 12:57:51 PST 2010

On 2010/12/04 12:23 (GMT-0800) Alan Coopersmith composed:

> Robert wrote:

>>  I upgraded xorg-server and I noticed it didn't read my settings. I
>>  figured that the new xorg probably must have deprecated the xorg.conf
>>  file, and that I would have to configure it in the new way of using
>>  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d instead.

> /etc/X11/xorg.conf is not deprecated, and is still read by the upstream code.
> Some input device entries there are ignored since the advent of input hotplug,
> but that's been true since Xorg 1.4 or so.

> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d extends /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but does not replace it.
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d is intended to replace .fdi files for input device
> configuration that were used by HAL for platforms which have moved off HAL.

>>  And sure enough, the arch linux wiki said
>>  that 10-monitor.conf is the new config file for monitor settings.

> That's a file created by your distro and a choice they've made to put
> monitor settings there.

> (Sorry, I don't know why your driver isn't honoring your modeline, but
>   it shouldn't be because of the file you put it in.   I would bet it has
>   a lot more to do with the Intel driver doing modesetting in the kernel
>   instead of Xorg since the advent of KMS.)

In testing *buntu*, Factory, Cooker & Rawhide I've been seeing more than just
modelines being ignored in xorg.conf but not in xorg.conf.d/, and as yet have
not found a pattern to help find out what is causing it. Could this really be
some KMS kernel fault? see e.g.
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-driver-ati/2010-November/018097.html

What are those wanting custom user config and exporting XORGCONFIG to do it
supposed to do when their alternate xorg.conf files are not obeyed like they
used to be?

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/