Feature Request: Custom Modelines with KMS

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 25 06:15:03 PST 2010

On 2010/11/26 00:07 (GMT+1100) Jamie Smith composed:

> I'm not sure if this applies more to drivers or xorg itself.  I have a
> linux HTPC and it's connected to my television via SCART socket.  My old
> tv doesn't support EDID and the like, so I need to use custom modelines in
> xorg.conf.  I'd like to enable KMS to reap all the benefits of it, but all
> my modelines are totally ignored.

> Is there a way, or can an option be added to force KMS to honour extra
> modelines in xorg.conf?

Even though xorg.conf remains officially supported, some things that should
work in it often don't, and may or may not have anything to do with KMS being
enabled or not.

In these cases moving the options into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and/or
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc usually does work. Modelines can be put in
50-monitor.conf same as you would in xorg.conf, or via xrandr in xinitrc.

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/