Reasons for FreePicture to cause "RenderBadPicture"?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 11:16:04 PDT 2010

Hi,

I have some code which causes "RenderBadPicture" errors from time to
time, and I have troubles finding the cause.

I have inserted some debug code and switched to synchronous mode,
however I don't get an idea whats going wrong.
Some pictures don't seem to cause problem, whereas other pictures
cause a single or even multiple errors although only freed once in
what seems to be a free call to free a completly different picture
like FreePicture(4c00184) which results in an error for picture
4c00189.

Any ideas whats going wrong?

If the "parent" drawable the Picture belongs to (e.g. a window or
picture) is freed, are all corresponding Pictures freed automatically
and cause a RenderBadPicture when a FreePicture is later attempt?

Thank you in advance, Clemens

Free request for: 4c00102, is pixmap: 1
Freeing picture 4c00102
Free request for: 4c00106, is pixmap: 1
Freeing picture 4c00106
> Xerror RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter), XID 4c00106, ser# 10171
> Major opcode 147 (Unknown)
> Minor opcode 7
Free request for: 4c000f0, is pixmap: 0
Freeing picture 4c000f0
Free request for: 4c00189, is pixmap: 0
Freeing picture 4c00189
> Xerror RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter), XID 4c00189, ser# 20872
> Major opcode 147 (Unknown)
> Minor opcode 7
Free request for: 4c00184, is pixmap: 0          //Whats going on
here, I free 4c00184 and get an error for 4c00189 multiple times?
Freeing picture 4c00184
> Xerror RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter), XID 4c00189, ser# 20874
> Major opcode 147 (Unknown)
> Minor opcode 7
Free request for: 4c00182, is pixmap: 0
Freeing picture 4c00182
> Xerror RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter), XID 4c00189, ser# 20876
> Major opcode 147 (Unknown)
> Minor opcode 7
Free request for: 4c00180, is pixmap: 0
Freeing picture 4c00180