Zapping the Xorg server

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Aug 25 15:28:23 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 07:13:39PM +0200, Wolfgang Draxinger wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:19:05 +0200
> Julien Cristau <jcristau at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > This is not true.  The sequence was removed from the default xkb map,
> > and can be turned back on with the appropriate xkb option, either in
> > xorg.conf or your desktop or your session startup scripts.
>
> Well, this is a Xkb option, and if I'm not entirely mistaken, can be
> enabled as well as disabled by setxkbmap, whereas the "old" server zap
> did work independently from that, no matter what was set later on.

the keyboard driver had special key handling, including for zapping the
server. this was performed by the driver though now the driver uses XKB
actions as well.

evdev always relied solely on the Terminate_Server XKB action.

> > No related xorg.conf option has been removed.
>
> I beg to differ: ServerFlags Option DontZap "off" is no longer
> interpreted (on my system). I have to use XkbOption
> "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp" to make it work.

from xorg.conf(5):
       Option "DontZap"  "boolean"
              This  disallows the use of the Terminate_Server XKB action (usu‐
              ally on Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, depending  on  XKB  options).   This
              action is normally used to terminate the Xorg server.  When this
              option is enabled, the action has no effect.  Default: off.

Cheers,
  Peter