X regression

Joel Feiner jafeiner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 20:26:29 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Frans de Boer <frans at fransdb.nl> wrote:

>  On 08/11/2010 05:28 PM, Joel Feiner wrote:
>
> KDE has a pretty spiffy screen configuration utility that can do per-screen
> resolution, layout configuration, etc.  It uses randr behind the scenes, of
> course.
>
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:50 AM, Frans de Boer <frans at fransdb.nl> wrote:
>
>> Dear Reader,
>>
>> The automatic configuration of the X server is a good step ahead. Alas,
>> there are some issues involving the user experience. To name just two:
>>  - Easy per desktop resolution setting with or without panning is missing.
>>  - Easy definition of virtual screen and on the fly screen resolution
>> changes using the ctrl+alt+-/+ keys are missing.
>>
>> Yes, you have the xrandr CLI utility, but in a graphical world using a
>> CLI utility which is not intuitive too??
>> The above remarks can be overcome by manually creating/editing the
>> xorg.conf file. But be honest, normal end users can do that?
>>
>> As it stands now, the X (7.5) experience has less features then before
>> making Windows and Mac interesting again because they offer per screen
>> resolution setting using a GUI and if the driver supports it, panning
>> too. Alas, they don't offer fast (using the keyboard) resolution changes
>> as the X 7.4 and before versions did.
>>
>> So - lacking a feature request function - I like to see:
>>  - Previous resolution changes using a key sequence on a virtual canvas
>> being restored.
>>  - Easy per screen resolution setting with optional panning being
>> restored.
>>  - Offer a GUI for the xrandr utility with intuitive settings (so none
>> technical people can use it too).
>>
>> People before me have suggested to send a bug report, but since removal
>> of these features have been done by design, it can't be a bug since it
>> is a feature (or lack of).
>>
>> Frans.
>>
>  I tried that before but:
> 1) It does not preserve the settings between sessions.

This is annoying, but it's a fixable bug.

> 2) I see no panning enabled!
> 3) If I want to zoom in quickly while doing some work, what works more
> convenient: a keyboard shortcut using ctrl+alt+-/+ or starting a utility?

If you are using desktop effects, that utility is built-in.  I know you may
find that an unreasonable request, but the future is composited desktops to
provide these kinds of features.

> 4) using the keyboard shortcut keeps the place where the mouse pointer is
> focused. Once having zoomed in, you have to move the mouse pointer (using
> panning) to find the applet again to restore the previous resolution or
> switch to another resolution. Then try to find your exact position before
> back again.

Would be solved by my answer to (3).

> 5) not everybody is working with KDE.
>
> Fair enough.  But...it is also true that the future is generally with
comprehensive DEs, so you'll probably find most of the enhanced features
there now, despite the cult following of the old-style WMs (which I am not
knocking, just pointing out the general trends).

- Joel