Xvideo Performance Regression

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sat Aug 14 13:31:30 PDT 2010

Recently I went from Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) to 10.04 (Lucid) on a Pentium
M / Intel 855GME laptop, and the Xvideo performance significantly got
worse, Both can handle 720P, but karmic can  handle 1080 and Lucid can't.

On the 1080 video on Karmic I see Xorg at 12% of the cpu with 20% idle
headroom.

On the 1080 video on Lucid I see Xorg at 38% of the cpu with 0% idle and
it can't keep up.

In both cases xvinfo says I'm using the X-Video Extension with Video
Overlay.

Here are links to the Xorg.logs, in case anyone can see what changed
from them.

http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~km/Xorg.log.karmic

http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~km/Xorg.log.lucid