Need help: Lost keyboard after xorg upgrade

Sergio Monteiro Basto sergio at sergiomb.no-ip.org
Sun Aug 8 16:52:59 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 09:43 +0200, Michael wrote:
> Hi
>
> I use Debian SID on two laptops here. One works without any problem. The
> other has lost the keyboard in X after last dist-upgrade.
>
> After start of KDM you see the login manager with the cursor blinking. You
> can move the mouse and position the cursor as well as mark any text.
> However, the keyboard does not change or enter any text, just as if there
> where no keyboard. (I tried using an external USB keyboard as well. Did not
> work either...)
>
> The system is running without an xorg.conf file. I tried using one with
> keyboard definitions in, but it did not change anything.

Copy and edit this file :
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-setup-keyboard.conf
# This file is autogenerated by system-setup-keyboard. Any
# modifications will be lost.

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "system-setup-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "pt"
#       Option          "XkbVariant"    "(null)"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,"
EndSection

meanwhile
setxkbmap pt
will help you to have your keyboard on X .
loadkeys pt
will help have your keyboard on console
(just change pt for yours kdb country)

--