Xv has color glitches with radeon driver

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Fri Aug 6 12:16:46 PDT 2010

On 08/06/2010 01:57 PM, Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am Friday 06 August 2010 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
>> Does that mean that it could be a bug in KDE's compositor?
> .. "The problem does never occur when compositing is active." ...
> Doesn't make much sense, yesno? :-)

Now that I read it again, it was a bit confusing.  I was thinking that
the way the compositor unredirects fullscreen apps has a bug.  However,
I completely disabled compositing and restarted and the bug was there,
so I guess it's not the compositor's fault.

> (It's rather likely that the indirect rendering works and the bug occurs on
> direct fb access through xv - tried other -vo sinks, eg. gl or x11?)

Gl and x11 output work correctly.  It's only Xv + direct rendering that
triggers it.

> You could try by shutting down kwin ("kquitapp kwin") and launching s (or
> rather maybe just) mplayer - then "mplayer -fs some_movie.avi"
>
> To restart kwin call "kwin&"
>
> NOTICE: since w/o a WM you won't be able to pass the focus around, you might
> want to call all cmds in a row
> "kquitapp kwin; mplayer - then "mplayer -fs some_movie.avi; kwin&"
>
> do not attempt to fork mplayer to bg (won't show up then)
>
> If this (unexpectedly) works fine, you can try to suspend compositing
> (SHIFT+Alt+F12) before playing

In both cases the bug shows.  Really the only case where it doesn't is
with compositing active (which means KWin must be running and desktop
effects must be enabled.)