Reg Xev

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Apr 30 14:39:55 PDT 2010

cknayar at codeaurora.org wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I tried running teh XEV on my X server and i get the keycode 198 for the
> Up key when it should have been 98. i want to understand how XEV gets the
> keycode or rather where does the XEV reads the keycode from.

xev simply reports the keycode it receives from the X server in the event.
The X server passes on the keycodes it receives from the X input driver
(such as evdev or kbd), though with an offset due to the overlap between
the mouse button and keycode numbering.   The input driver may report the
exact value it got from the kernel/hardware or may map it (kbd for instance
remaps from system-specific keycodes to the AT standard scancodes).

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com