Trackpoint (Dualpoint Stick) too slow, confused

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Wed Apr 28 02:44:53 PDT 2010

Am 28.04.2010 02:01, schrieb Peter Hutterer:

> sysfs files are for knobs exposed by the kernel.
>
>> Simple question, asking for the current way to configure:
>>
>> How do I speed up my terribly slow TrackPoint?
>
> Simon, do we have anything to speed up devices? looks like everything we
> have is to slow them down...
This intends to preserve precision. I'd bet any speed gains one may have
under another OS is driver magic.

Since sysfs fails, probably acceleration is your friend. The velocity
code wasn't really written with trackpoints in mind but it should work
fine, maybe with tweaks applied.

If the knob is really slow, I'd recommend a profile which ascends early
(like the smooth (soft-knee) limited or linear profile, 6 or 7). You may
also find it helpful to increase "velocity scaling", which adjusts the
profile responses. This can be done with xinput and xorg.conf[.d]

It may take some time to find proper settings; they're documented here:
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration

In any case, I'd be interested in how it worked out.