Trackpoint (Dualpoint Stick) too slow, confused

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Apr 27 17:01:02 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:33:10PM +0200, Tobias Wolf wrote:
> Salve,
>
> Xorg input device configuration went through so many changes lately that
> I’m really confused as to how to configure basic things properly.
>
> Searching via Google is misleading to say the least. People refer to old
> xorg.conf settings, to sysfs files, xinput commands, HAL, udev,
> xorg.conf.d, etc.

the configuration confusion can be summed up as:
    X servers up to 1.4: configuration through xorg.conf
    X servers 1.4 through to 1.7: configuration through HAL's fdi files
    X servers 1.8 and later: configuration through xorg.conf.d

I can't recommend using udev as X server configuration storage, for the same
reason we stopped using HAL as storage.

any configuration is only at X server startup time. Some features are
exposed through so-called input device properties which can be modified with
the (generic) xinput command or other commands more targeted.

sysfs files are for knobs exposed by the kernel.

> Simple question, asking for the current way to configure:
>
> How do I speed up my terribly slow TrackPoint?

Simon, do we have anything to speed up devices? looks like everything we
have is to slow them down...

> It’s called DualPoint Stick, ALPS, is in Lenovo ThinkPad X301. It’s
> owned by evdev driver.
>
> The touchpad is fine, so when I buff the acceleration in Gnome control
> panel for all devices it becomes super-jerky. I use up-to-date Xorg in
> Ubuntu Lucid, so please give me the pertinent options for xorg.conf.d
> stanza.
>
> xinput commands weren’t helping at all. They seem to only make things
> slower [1] – at best, sometimes after playing cursor became attracted to
> black hole at (1,1). There were references to configure sensitivity via
> sysfs, but I don’t have these files [2].

> they deprecated? man evdev doesn’t mention anything. Can I not buff the
> sensitivity in the device itself?

the driver doesn't provide those options, so it wouldn't do much adding it.

Cheers,
  Peter