X11 XTEST Error when starting Xine

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Sep 27 19:27:22 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 07:54:45PM -0400, Jim Duda wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running an up-to-date installation of fedora 11.
>
> xine-lib.i586                       1.1.16.3-2.fc11
> xine-lib-extras.i586                1.1.16.3-2.fc11
> xine-lib-extras-freeworld.i586      1.1.16.3-1.fc11
> xine-lib-pulseaudio.i586            1.1.16.3-2.fc11
> xine-plugin.i586                    1.0.2-2.fc11
> xine-ui.i586                        0.99.5-16.fc11
>
> I'm getting this error when attempting to play a dvd://
>
> Can anyone explain how to debug what xine is looking for?
>
> xine dvd:// --verbose
>
> main: probing <aadxr3> video output plugin
> main: probing <dxr3> video output plugin
> video_out_dxr3: Failed to open control device /dev/em8300-0 (No such file or directory)
> main: probing <xv> video output plugin
> video_out_xv: using Xv port 355 from adaptor NV17 Video Texture for hardware colour space conversion and scaling.
> video_out_xv: this adaptor supports the yuy2 format.
> video_out_xv: this adaptor supports the yv12 format.
> main: probing <pulseaudio> audio output plugin
> osd: can't find out current locale character set
> osd: can't find out current locale character set
> osd: can't find out current locale character set
> osd: can't find out current locale character set
> osd: can't find out current locale character set
> video_out_xv: VO_PROP_ASPECT_RATIO(0)
> osd: can't find out current locale character set
> osd: can't find out current locale character set
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
>     Major opcode of failed request:  144 (XTEST)
>     Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (X_XTestFakeInput)
>     Value in failed request:  0x0
>     Serial number of failed request:  2229
>     Current serial number in output stream:  2231
>
> I appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

xtest seems to need to send an input event (XTestFakeInput does exactly
that) and one of the values is outside of the permitted scope. This could be
e.g. a button event for button 0, or simply an incorrect device number.
Hard to say without seeing the actual request info, I recommend intercepting
the data with xscope or something to see what the actual request wants to
do.
Or looking at the source, that might work too.

Cheers,
  Peter