r128 driver has rolling dash in display

John Klug ski.brimson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 18:31:04 PDT 2009

I installed Ubuntu Linux into an old Dell with rage M3. It had Windows 2000,
and I don't recall this issue in Windows 2000. There is a dash or hyphen
that changes slightly in length at about 3/4 of the way across the screen,
and it moves vertically from top to bottom (I believe it appears in several
places in the same horizontal position simultaneously). This does not happen
on a console screen, only in X.

This is viewing the video through the laptops flat panel display.

from lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility M3 AGP
2x (rev 02)

from modinfo:
vermagic: 2.6.28-15-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 586