patch: add support for CustomEDID to radeon

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 08:19:49 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:04 AM, Dave Airlie<airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/9/10 Csillag Kristof <csillag.kristof at united-consult.hu>:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> As I have mentioned a few days earlier, I have encountered a Samsung
>>> 214T monitor,
>>> which is unable to properly use DDC when connected via DVI, but works
>>> fine via VGA.
>>>
>>> I could not get it to work with the Radeon driver, but the proprietary
>>> NVIDIA driver
>>> had an option to force-feed the driver with custom EDID data from a
>>> file, instead of DDC,
>>> so I could use the monitor with NVIDIA.
>>>
>>> However, I wanted the Radeon driver, so I have added the same option to
>>> the radeon driver.
>>> It works for me; if you consider this useful, please add to the official
>>> branch.
>>>
>>>    * * *
>>>
>>> Here is how I use it:
>>>
>>> 1. Connect the monitor to the PC using VGA
>>> 2. get-edid > /root/Samsung_214T.edid
>>> 3. add to xorg.conf:     Option      "CustomEDID"
>>> "DVI-0:/root/Samsung_214T.edid"
>>> 4. Connect the monitor to the PC using DVI
>>> 5. Restart X
>>>

>>> ... and it work.s
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell, there is no other way to make this monitor work
>>> with this driver,
>>> so this is very important to me; however, I am not sure how many people are
>>> blessed with such broken hardware, so I can not estimate the real importance
>>> of the problem.
>>>
>>>    * * *
>>>
>>> Please let me know what do you think!
>>
>> Great patch!  thanks for doing this.  I've made some small
>> improvements to it.  Please test this patch and let me know and I'll
>> go ahead and commit it.
>>

> /me wonders if this could be in the server at all.

Should be pretty easy to just pull RADEONGetHardCodedEDIDFromFile()
into the xserver.  Wouldn't even need to match the output name since
it would be per-monitor section.

Alex