C&T ct65545 problem

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Oct 27 11:54:42 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 11:40 -0700, Yan Seiner wrote:

> Not sure if the effort is worth it for 15 year old hardware....
> Wouldn't surprise me if I'm one of less than a dozen who still has this
> stuff in working order.
>
> OTOH, X is being used more and more on embedded platforms, so it
> wouldn't hurt to have a "DefaultDepth" fallback - if 24 doesn't work,
> try 16, if that doesn't work, try 8.

The vesa driver has that already, in a sense:

    depths = VBEFindSupportedDepths(pVesa->pVbe, pVesa->vbeInfo, &flags24,
                                    V_MODETYPE_VBE);

    /* Preferred order for default depth selection. */
    if (depths & V_DEPTH_24)
        defaultDepth = 24;
    else if (depths & V_DEPTH_16)
        defaultDepth = 16;
    else if (depths & V_DEPTH_15)
        defaultDepth = 15;
    /* ... */

So we should do the right thing, if the BIOS is polite enough to not lie
to us.  Of course, it could be lying.

Having the _server_ retry successively smaller depths is a fair idea,
but really hard to implement given the way driver setup works right now,
and fixing it sort of requires fixing all the drivers in the same pass.

- ajax