C&T ct65545 problem

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Oct 27 11:40:39 PDT 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/10/27 Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com>:
>

>> This particular laptop is ISA with a couple of PCMCIA 1 (16 bit) slots.
>> The video is on the ISA bus.
>> The chips driver (1.2.1 and 1.2.2) doesn't work in this configuration at
>> all, exiting with the error given previously.
>> However, the VESA driver works just fine.  It assumes a 24 bit depth and
>> fails as the hardware only supports 8 bits.  Once it's told to use
>> defaultdepth of 8, it correctly sees the C&T chipset and initializes the
>> screen just fine.
>>

> Can this sort of thing be detected and special-cased? (Should it?
> Would this be an appropriate method of supporting ye crusty olde
> chips?)

Not sure if the effort is worth it for 15 year old hardware....
Wouldn't surprise me if I'm one of less than a dozen who still has this
stuff in working order.

OTOH, X is being used more and more on embedded platforms, so it
wouldn't hurt to have a "DefaultDepth" fallback - if 24 doesn't work,
try 16, if that doesn't work, try 8.

--Yan

--

   o__