xorg tutorial problem

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Oct 25 17:48:46 PDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 06:39:35PM +0100, pepe cullera wrote:
> Hi all!
> I'm new here, my name is Jose Luis Cercos, and i'm from Spain.
> I'm creating an TFIR board, and I need to develop mice drivers, that could
> actively plug and unplug. To do this I am following this tutorial:
>
> http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/XorgInputHOWTO
>
> Written by Peter Hutterer.
> The problem is that the repository (git source code) does not work, and i
> can't find the libraries to link the following functions (errors returned by
> ld):

unfortunately, the sample driver got lost when $HOME was wiped recently and
checking my laptop here I don't seem to have a copy. If anyone has a clone
of the xf86-input-random sample driver, please let me know.

>  undefined reference to `xf86PostMotionEvent'
>  undefined reference to `xf86WaitForInput'
>  undefined reference to `Xcalloc'
>  undefined reference to `InitButtonClassDeviceStruct'
>  undefined reference to `xf86Msg'
>  undefined reference to `GetMotionHistory'
>  undefined reference to `InitValuatorClassDeviceStruct'
>  undefined reference to `InitAbsoluteClassDeviceStruct'
>  undefined reference to `xf86InitValuatorAxisStruct'
>  undefined reference to `xf86InitValuatorDefaults'
>  undefined reference to `xf86FlushInput'
>  undefined reference to `xf86AddEnabledDevice'
>  undefined reference to `xf86RemoveEnabledDevice'
>  undefined reference to `xf86AllocateInput'
>  undefined reference to `Xcalloc'
>  undefined reference to `xf86DeleteInput'
>  undefined reference to `Xstrdup'
>  undefined reference to `xf86CheckStrOption'
>  undefined reference to `xf86CollectInputOptions'
>  undefined reference to `xf86ProcessCommonOptions'
>  undefined reference to `xf86DeleteInput'
>  undefined reference to `xf86AddInputDriver'
>
> Please... Does anyone know what libraries i have to link?

All these are provided by the server SDK, the errors suggesting that your
autotools setup is misconfigured. Until the driver is available again, I
suggest you just take the Makefile.am and configure.ac from evdev (change
evdev over to your driver name) and copy it into your repository, then
autoreconf and compile again. The makefiles for drivers are nearly
identical, so that should apply to your driver as well (provided you replace
the source code file names, etc).

Cheers,
  Peter