How on earth do you set your screen res after a crash??

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Mon Oct 19 14:55:23 PDT 2009

>> Please let me know if anyone knows how to change X11 screen resolutions
>> without closing down everything and restarting.
>
> The following uses XFree86-VidModeExtension:

Well that's very interesting - not only did it work, but after running it I
was able to use Alt+Ctrl+KP_Plus to switch back to my normal mode, which I was
unable to do last night.

I think I might combine all these methods into a "resolution restore" program
and attach it to a hotkey, so that any crashes in future can run this program
and it will try a couple of different methods to restore the screen resolution.

Thanks!
Adam.