xorg error : Failed to activate core devices

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sat Oct 10 04:53:13 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 02:28:03PM +0800, yue315012-reg at yahoo.com.cn wrote:
> I compiled Xorg 1.7.0 for my Geexbox. When start Xorg, it always said
>   (EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
>   (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
>   XKB: Failed to compile keymap
>   Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.

this could be caused a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config :) the
easiest way to fix that is to install xkeyboard-config into the same prefix
as the server.

otherwise, grep for XKB_BASE_DIRECTORY in config.log, make sure
xkeyboard-config is installed there.
grep for XKB_COMPILED_DIR in config.log, make sure this directory is
writeable.
grep for XKB_BIN_DIRECTORY, make sure xkbcomp is in that directory.

Cheers,
  Peter