xorg error : Failed to activate core devices

Justin P. Mattock justinmattock at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 23:56:15 PDT 2009

yue315012-reg at yahoo.com.cn wrote:
> I compiled Xorg 1.7.0 for my Geexbox. When start Xorg, it always said
> (EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap
> Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect
> setup of xkeyboard-config.
> Fatal server error:
> Failed to activate core devices.
> and then quit. But with 1.5.x, after the log
> (EE) Error compiling keymap (server-0)
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap
> the Xorg will load evdev modules,and start normal,
> So what's the problem? Is linux kernel need something?
> The attachment is the log file of 1.7.0

I've dabbled just a little in that area
to only know that before X usually most of the
files are located in /usr/share/keymaps/*,the init/startup are in
init.d/console, and in your config /etc/* to choose the keymap type i.g.
us.map.gz etc..(mine is in /etc/sysconfig/console)

Now with starting X, having either gdm/xdm the main configuration is
~/.xmodmap.

Interesting thing here is it seems the xserver is looking for a keymap
to use(example us.map.gz), which should have already been configured
during init.

Is this the latest git pull of everything(X11)?
if so maybe they have a new way of configuring XKB.
(or maybe there's a new switch for xkb that needs to be added before
compiling?)

Justin P. Mattock