xserver 1.7.0 and intel driver 2.9.0 - how to check, why not working

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Tue Oct 6 10:43:55 PDT 2009

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:18:12 +0200
Łukasz Maśko <ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl> wrote:

> I've installed the above combination (intel driver rebuilt with xserver
> 1.7.0), but the only thing I'm getting is a blank, black screen and hard
> lock of my machine - nothing is working, I have to hold the power button to
> turn my laptop off. There is nothing in logs that can tell me, what is
> wrong.
>
> My laptop has an Intel i855GM chipset. I'm using PLD linux with 2.6.31
> kernel, xserver 1.6.3 and intel driver 2.9.0 (rebuilt with xserver 1.6.x)
> and with whese versions everything works well.

What are you doing, when you get the blank screen?
Are you booting (if so, try to boot with i915.modeset=0 on the kernel
cmdline to make sure, it is working in text-mode)  or are you
getting the blank screen only after starting X?

If there is a kernel-problem, you could try to debug it with
netconsole[2] or a serial-console. If it is "only" a graphics-problem,
you could try to run an sshd and try to log in remotely. Or maybe in
that case the sysrq-keys[1] do work...
Or try another kernel (newer or older).

i'm shure there are more ways to debug this problem, but that is what i
can think of, offhand....

Sincerly,
Florian

p.s.: i added the intel-gfx mailinglist on the cc'list

[1]  http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysrq.txt
[2]  http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt